I am going to be completely honest here – the title of this post is full of hype (and we both know it). The real secret to social media is that there is no secret, and somehow I’ve only just discovered that fact!
Social Media Is Not About…
- Sponsored tweets,
- Automatic replies,
- 100% automated tweets,
- Posting links all the time,
- Never posting links to other people’s stuff,
- Following thousands of random people in the hopes that you’ll get more followers,
- Never responding to others,
- Always making it about you.
What Is Social Media About?
Social media is about one thing: relationships! Not sales, relationships. That’s not to say that social media can’t help us make sales. But relationships generally come before sales.
I know this because it’s worked on me. I’ve found people who genuinely interact on social media, who take the time to get into conversations with others, who thank people when they retweet their links and so on. I’ve found them, I liked what I saw, and I ended up buying from them. Not because they forced me to, but because they gave a clear example of what they’re about and I liked it enough to pay for more of it.
My Social Media Strategy
Have you guessed it yet? I don’t have any social media strategy beyond sharing good content from others, getting into conversations, and making sure things aren’t 100% automated.
I do have a few systems in place to make it easier for myself, however:
- I use HootSuite (the free plan) to manage most of my social media accounts in one place.
- I use Buffer (the free plan) to schedule automatic tweets to go out twice a day (I add interesting blog posts I find to my buffer stream).
- I log in a few times a day to actually connect with people – but I limit my time and don’t keep it open while I’m working.
Until a couple of weeks ago, I’d let everything get dormant. My Facebook pages were just churning out links/ email broadcasts, and my Twitter account was just re-posting old content over and over. If this is all you want to do with social media, because you don’t have the time to actually connect, then I think you may as well close your accounts.
I decided to get active again and I’ve finally seen the light. Relationships are so important in business! And it doesn’t take that long to have a conversation with someone!
The photo in this post is of the sunset over the mountains in Vang Vieng, Laos. The town has become a crazy party town where people go tubing down the river, stopping off at bars along the way. But we stayed outside of the party area in a beautiful but still cheap resort where we watched this sunset every single night!